Monday, February 15, 2010

Bullet in the Brain

The short story Bullet in the Brain seemed bizarre to me at first, but as the story went along it was a bit more intriguing than I first expected. The the main character didn't seemed frightened at all by the bank robbers. Instead he found them humorous he was even entertained by the murals in the bank itself. If I or more than likely anyone else had been put into that particular situation we probably would be defecating in our pants, not to mention we wouldn't be laughing and making fun of the bank robbers, but he seemed to be amused by them. This whole sequence was quite strange to me. I did manage be drawn into the story more when the robber shot the main character, not because of the bullet, but by the description that soon followed. The author went into great detail of the thoughts that were passing through his head as well as the bullet. The thoughts were surprisingly not the main events in this man's life but a very relateable story from his childhood that involved a pick-up backyard baseball game. In the story the main character was just puzzled by another boy's different dialect in his speech. I thought this to be a bit of a coincidence that he had started critiquing the way other people spoke even at a young age, and about 40 years later the main reason he was shot by a bank robber was mainly because he was once again critiquing the way the bank robber spoke.

I thought the strength of the story was its descriptive details that the author used to tell the story. I was able to envision the environment of the bank as well as the thoughts that were flowing through the main character's head. I thought the story's main point was for people to not be so critical and negative about life. All in all, I found the story to be pretty well written and put together, and i'd have to say I enjoyed it for the most part.

1 comment:

  1. The fact that he acts so nonchalantly is really a key feature of the story. Do you think we're supposed to take it as straight up realism, or does it stand for something else? That's a heavy handed question. Hopefully we'll get to it in class.

    ReplyDelete