Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Three Op eds

Fixing education is more important than revamping health care
This op ed took on a different view on the health care reform. The writer didn't necessarily oppose the reform he simple thought there should be more money in the schooling systems of our country. He including some interesting facts on how some parts of our country are struggling in the math and science departments He also went on to mention how schools in these areas were being forced to shut down due to a struggling economy and insufficient funds. I found this column to be quite interesting.
http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2010/03/column-fixing-education-is-more-important-than-revamping-health-care.html?csp=34&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+News-Opinion+%28News+-+Opinion%2

Caught in the Act: Guy candy, not storylines
I found this op ed to be quite humorous and and enjoyable to read. I actually laughed out loud a couple times while reading this. The writer's input on male magazines like maxim was, what I think, most peoples views on it besides males that have been single their entire lives or those who are insecure about themselves. I've read these magazines before and she practically nailed their basic themes on the head. Her take on porn was also hilarious. Guys that are obsessed with porn are pretty pathetic to tell you the truth. These are the magazines that give guys the idea that they have to be dicks to be cool. All in all I really like this op ed piece.
http://www.montanakaimin.com/index.php/articles/article/caught_in_the_act_guy_candy_not_storylines/957


Finding your own space at 30,000 feet
This op ed wasn't quite as interested as the other two, but it was easy to read and relate to the writer. She wrote about the "cocoon" you have as a seat when flying in an airplane. I myself don't usually find their seats too cozy if the flights exceed more than and hour in a half. However, the writer went on to mention that it was quite nice to get away from the world of cell phones and e-mail. She then went on to explain what airplane etiquette was all about, that one can only veiw a person's computer screen/diary for a few seconds before you enter their personal space.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-schmich-0324-20100324,0,784952.column?page=1

1 comment:

  1. Good work here Derek, thanks. You're a natural blogger.

    ReplyDelete